Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday night in Humble

Good evening its Friday and tonight we cracked open a water melon and I sat on the porch and enjoyed the heck out of that cold melon. Leon hale who I feel is a fantastic writer often tells stories about melons. This watermelon was one of them seedless type it was alright but I have had much better melons. One time we took the kids to Florida to see the mouse and on our way ran across a guy selling melons by the side of the road. when we got home and opened it it was wonderful. While I was setting eating that watermelon it brought back memories of long ago.  When I was a child every memorial day we would go to Georgetown to visit a couple of old graves, then after that we would stop by clear creek and have a picnic. My dad and uncles  would put cans of beer and soda and a melon or two in the creek to keep it cold. after we ate the burgers we had watermelon Ice cold from the stream that was spring run off from the winter snow. so cold and taste. do you remember the water melon juice running down your arms and getting all sticky?  I remember them big round dark green ones as being the best. all the fruit stands in the Denver area on 44th had big horse tanks full of melons and water and great big chunks of ice. The guy at the store would plug a melon and let you try it . Those were the nights of my childhood walking under neon lights of all colors a buzzing as if they were alive. It is so odd that setting on a porch in the year 2011 when you are on the down hill slide of your tasks here on earth and you think about watermelons away back in the 50's. Many special things on summer nights happened . Giant spot lights lit up the dark Sky's drawing in the curious from all over town . You never knew what you would find after your parents followed those lights. a car sale or an elephant at a furniture store. A man setting on a giant rocking chair. In Denver they had a hamburger stand way before Mcdonalds that was fantastic it was called rocky built and another wad Joe's burger shack 10 burgers in a bag for a buck. there was also a special place for hot summer nights called the A&W. A root beer stand that had burgers and root beer. Well Ill let you go for now . any one reading this I thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment